Lechwe Plains Tented Camp
Lochinvar National Park, Zambia
LOCHINVAR NATIONAL PARK, ZAMBIA
Camps & Lodges Image © Sanctuary Lodges
View images of Lechwe Plains: Lechwe
Sanctuary Lodges & Camps have acquired the following camps and lodges in Zambia:
• Sussi & Chuma on the banks of the Zambezi River in the Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park above the world-famous Victoria Falls
• Lechwe Plains Tented Camp in the Lochinvar National Park north of Lusaka
• Kulefu Tented Camp situated on the banks of the Zambezi River in the Lower Zambezi National Park
• Puku Ridge Tented Camp in the South Luangwa National Park
• Chichele Presidential Lodge in the South Luangwa National Park, the world-famous lodge which was originally built by President Kaunda
The Lochinvar Estate has a genuine history as an “Out of
Africa” colonial cattle ranch and farm. Bequeathed to the
nation in 1904, the old colonial farmhouse still stands, under
order. But Lochinvar’s huge swath of unique wetland and floodplain
savanna was returned to its wild state.
Situated on the Kafue River floodplain
between Livingstone and Lusaka, the Park is now the last stronghold
of the Kafue Lechwe, an aquatic antelope of extraordinary grace.
The Kafue Flats floodplain in the northern section of Lochinvar has
been designated as a World Heritage Wetland
Site by the IUCN and WWF under the Ramsar Convention.
close-up experience of living in the same environment as the wildlife
offers a new perspective to the visitor. Peace and beauty together
with ever-changing waterscapes will offer opportunities for special
interest groups and individual visitors alike. Guests will have the
undivided attention of the hosts and staff, including a professional
ornithologist and guide.
Lechwe Plains is a sesonal destination:
Available April - November only, due to heavy rainy season.
images of Lechwe Plains Camp, click Lechwe
The exotic and beautiful Lechwe Plains Tented Camp is an African fantasy
under canvas. The tented lodge, built onto teak decking, shelters under
a mature grove of acacia trees on the edge of the wide Chunga Lagoon.
Just six double units cater for a maximum of 12 guests at any one time,
making this a tranquil hideaway far from the main safari circuits.
All accommodation has en-suite toilet,
basin, shower & bath, mosquito nets over all the beds, a hair
dryer, and a private viewing deck.
Accommodation includes the following:
meals a day
• 2 game viewing activities per day
• National Park entrance fees
• Fishing in the Kafue river floodplain
• Transfers to/from Lochinvar airstrip
• Soft drinks and local spirits and wines
• Service Charge
Meals are served at the usually accepted times but can be dependent
on game drives and will vary seasonally. All meals are table
d’hôte with a wide selection of dishes, and will
be served outdoors whenever possible - often around a campfire
in the evening.
• All year round bird watcher’s paradise
with over 400 species recorded. In addition, the park contains approximately
30,000 Kafue lechwe,
2,000 Blue wildebeest and 700 Zebra. Greater kudu, Bushbuck, Oribi, Hippopotamus,
Side-striped jackal, Reedbuck and Common waterbuck are also present.
• Water activities include excursions in dug-out canoes.
• Game viewing drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles.
• Guided walks.
• Cultural visits to nearby traditional fishing villages.
• Special interest safaris, e.g. birding, riverine ecology or questing
for rare species such as the Sitatunga.
• Visits to interesting iron-age archaeological sites.
• Hot springs.
• Sport angling opportunities.
Camps & Lodges Return
History and General information about Zambia, click More
further information about the National Parks of Zambia, click Zam