Okavango Delta, Botswana
Return to Map of Okavango
of Kanana Camp: Kanana Images
KANANA CAMP RATES: Kanana
- OKAVANGO DELTA, BOTSWANA
Kanana is a hidden jewel set on the Xudum River in the southwest of the Okavango Delta. The area encompasses a necklace of islands dotted with palms, figs, ebony and knobthorn, and is home to a myriad of birds, plants and animals. The nature of the habitat means it is the perfect place to experience the diversity of species found within the Okavango Delta.
• Situated on a private concession that allows guided walks, mokoro excursions and night drives in addition to game drives and motor boating (water levels permitting).
• Private access to one of the largest heronry's in the Okavango Delta by motorboat.
• Excellent area for birding with regular sightings of Pel's Fishing Owl.
• Fly or spin fishing throughout the year (best months May - November).
images of Kanana Camp, click Kanana Camp Images
At Kanana guests are accommodated in eight spacious, twin-bedded safari units, set on raised teak decks, offering breathtaking views across the waterways. Dependent on the annual floods, the level of water transforms this dry camp into a true water experience and in the early months of the year you may actually enjoy the visible spectacle of the water rising around the camp. All tents offer en-suite bathrooms with hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet. The tents are well spaced affording privacy, whilst still being within comfortable distance from the central dining and lounge area.
• 8 x twin-bedded spacious tents, set on raised teak decks, offering breathtaking waterway views.
• Ensuite bathrooms with shower.
• Tents are well spaced affording privacy, whilst still being within comfortable distance from the central dining and lounge area.
Kanana's dining room, bar and sitting area overlook the Xudum River, with an inviting campfire set on the water's edge.
Minimum age is 7 years from Mar - Jun and in Nov & Dec, however from Jul - Oct the minimum age is 10 years.
A wide variety of activities is available at Kanana and the focus of activities varies with the rising and falling levels of the Okavango Delta, your Professional guide will assist you in planning your days to best explore the area. Game drives in specially designed vehicles in the morning and late afternoon, into the evening on night drives. Alternatively you may explore the crystal clear waterways by mekoro or powerboats, and enjoy the magnificent variety of birds, plant and reptile species found in the area.
Of special note is the birding in the area, Kanana hosting a seasonal heronry that teems with activity from August through to the summer months, a true highlight at Kanana which converts all visitors to avid 'twitchers' at first sight. Guided walks are highly recommended in this pretty area as well as fly or spin fishing for tilapia, African pike and sharptooth catfish.
• Game drives in specially designed vehicles
• Powerboat (water levels permitted) & mokoro trips
• Guided walks
• Private access to one of the largest heronry's in the Delta by motorboat
• Spin fishing (best months Sep – Apr)
Wildlife and the Area
Of special note is the birding in the area, Kanana hosting a seasonal heronry that teems with activity from August through to the summer months, a true highlight at Kanana which converts all visitors to avid 'twitchers' at first sight. Excellent area for birding, with regular sightings of Pel's Fishing Owl. Guided walks are highly recommended in this pretty area as well as spin fishing for tilapia, African pike and sharp tooth catfish.
Open 01 Mar – 01 Jan.
Return to Map of Okavango
/ Land Activity Table for Botswana camps: Water/Land
Times between Botswana camps: Fly
For further information about the Okavango Delta, click More
For further information about Botswana, click More